Under the essentials that the government lists in order for one human being to survive in this country, a newcomer known as the internet is making itself at home amongst other essential survival ‘veterans’ such as food, electricity, water and warmth. That goes to show just how important the small box in your living room with the flashing lights is.
With our dependence on the ability to connect with friends and search worldwide for anything and everything, the demand for cheaper internet services has risen rapidly and as a result, providers –large and small – are battling it out.
Regardless of whether you’re a fan of BT’s speed, Richard Branson’s fibre optics or have a fondness for the man with a Yorkshire accent telling the nation why he loves Yorkshire so much, my recent research caters to everyone from first-time buyers to those of you considering changing providers.
I have tried to pick the best reviewed companies for the selection, as I’d expect you want good service as well as good prices. Please be aware that broadband offers are constantly changing, so you really have to do your research before you dive in.
Here are my top ten broadband providers with the best offers:
1. TalkTalk: One of the reasons TalkTalk is so popular is because of its awesome customer service. That’s not to say other providers don’t value customers! The reason I say this is because TalkTalk always come up trumps on their sales pitch; they target what people want most – free stuff. At the moment, you can get unlimited broadband for £19.95pm or unlimited fibre for £25.50. And that includes line rental. You may have heard they also now have a TV deal – from £25.95 for TV and Broadband per month. That’s 80 free channels for not much more money. Shop all of their offers here.
2. Sky Broadband: Sky is one provider that offers landline, internet and tv in one package instead of several. Entertainment, Broadband Unlimited + Free HD can come as a package, and is often heavily discounted for the first 18 months or so. Totally worth it, even though it can get quite expensive after this time. But then they may give you another deal to keep your custom… Check out the offers for yourself here.
3. BT: Another good name you can trust. Get superfast broadband from £29.99 per month, along with weekend calls. And a £130 gift card. Not too shabby at all. Search for their deals here.
4. EE: No longer just a mobile network, EE is one of the newbies on the broadband front. They even offer big discounts for any existing EE Mobile customers. Take a look at your possible coverage here.
5. Post Office: You read that right. The Post Office does broadband now, as well as their more well-known services. Prices start at £17 per month, with no upfront costs such as setup and installation which is nice. They also regularly have offers on where you can get your phoneline thrown in for pretty much free. Currently, you can get both for £18 per month for 18 months, and the price doesn’t get ridiculous after this time either. Browse their current offers here.
6. Vodafone: Another mobile network who have branched out. Prices start at £21 a month for existing mobile customers and £23 per month for new customers. Line rental also sits at a very little £0 per month, so it is perfect if you want to do away with your home phone. Look at the deals here.
7. Plusnet: Like with a lot of other providers, Plusnet offers a cheaper service if you pay for the service up front for the year. Unlimited fibre starts at £25 per month, including line rental, and with no activation costs. Unlimited broadband is under £20. They are also often generous on the Gift Card front. Their current offers can be found here.
8. Virgin Media: Although Virgin Media can be a little more expensive, they often have some cracking offers on. And it will be amongst the fastest internet available in the UK, so you can’t say you don’t get a lot for your buck. In fact, they won the Fastest Broadband Provider award at the uSwitch Broadband Awards for the 7th year in a row. You can get a bundle with your phone provided or with TV, and for some reason, the latter two options work out cheaper. Look for yourself here.
9. SSE: Thought they were just an energy provider? Think again. With fixed prices for three years for existing energy customers, and for 12 months for non-SSE customers, you won’t get any nasty price hikes at any point. They have three different options to fit your needs, starting at £21 per month for line rental only. And they’re all unlimited. Check your availability here.
10. John Lewis Broadband: Better known for their shops than broadband, but they surprisingly have great deals on. Unlimited broadband and phone from just £20 per month to be exact. And as it is John Lewis, you can expect a brilliant service and support, as well as no activation charges or extra line rental costs. See their current deals here.
There’s really no need to pay extortionate prices for broadband any longer with all of the companies competing to give you the best price. If you’re an existing customer of an internet package, it’s always worth calling to cancel your current package when you’ve found another you like and asking your current provider if they can beat it. Even if they can’t, they’ll usually offer you a whole bunch of perks to get you to stay!